3 Supplements to Boost Your Immunity
Today, the modern world has been experiencing one of the longest pandemics thanks to the coronavirus, a deadly pathogen causing highly infectious symptoms, often preying on the immuno-compromised and elderly.
It is commonly believed that poor immunity is reserved for cancer patients, autoimmune disease patients, AIDS patients, asthmatics, and those suffering from lifestyle diseases like diabetes or hypertension. However, while the above examples do definitely appear on the coronavirus hit list, having a poor immunity isn’t necessarily reserved for those already sick. If you have recurring colds, slow-healing cuts and wounds, high stress levels, frequent infections, persistent tiredness, and commonly-occurring stomach problems, you are experiencing tell-tale symptoms of low immunity. There are also several studies to show that a diet rich in fast-food and processed foods results in obesity and a high BMI, increasing the risk of infection. The evidence is overwhelming; we need to take better care of our immunity. Here are the supplements to help you do just that:
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D is fat-soluble and essential for immune function. This nutrient enhances the activity of pathogen-fighting white blood cells, reduces inflammation, and protects against upper respiratory tract infections. Unfortunately, most people across the globe are deficient in this vitamin, as it is very difficult to find in our day-to-day diet. Hence, it is all the more important to take a Vitamin D supplement.
Suggested Use: Take one supplement per day, or as recommended by your registered doctor.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is one of the most popularly consumed supplements. It helps in cell regeneration by getting rid of old, dead cells, and creating new ones, which is essential for boosted immunity. There are several scientific studies to show that vitamin C also reduces the severity and duration of respiratory tract infections, and thus helps manage early symptoms of the coronavirus.
Suggested Use: Take 1-2 per day with a meal, or as recommended by your registered doctor.
- Zinc: Zinc is a mineral essential to the proper functioning of the immune system. It helps with the body’s response to inflammation, thus decreasing the risk of respiratory infections such as bronchitis or pneumonia. It also helps reduce the duration of these infections.
Suggested Use: The maximum dosage of zinc is 40mg per day. It is most commonly taken in tablet form. As always, check with your doctor before taking any dietary supplements.
While taking supplements is certainly not the end-all cure for improving your COVID immunity, it definitely helps prevent infections by enhancing the functioning of a low immune system. Besides various herbs, minerals, and vitamins, there are easy lifestyle changes that can be made to improve your immune function. These include the following:
- Wash your hands regularly for at least 20 seconds.
- Exercise regularly, and stick to your exercise routine.
- Reduce alcohol consumption
- Take steps to try and quit smoking.
- Make sure to get 7-8 hours of continuous sleep every night.
- Manage stress levels through yoga, meditation, or massage therapy.
- Keep up to date with your vaccinations.
If you are experiencing persistent symptoms of low immunity, or simply want to get tested, consult FITTO and jump start your immune system today.